Up next: August 20, 2016 – Crab Feed and Music at Camp Burton
Like most service organizations, we raise funds in a variety of ways, and most involve sweat-equity from our members. Some examples:
- Member contributions (cash and in-kind) to the club and to Vashon Island Rotary Foundation
- Contributions from individuals and businesses in the community (occasionally cash; usually gifts in-kind or assistance with fund raisers)
- Special events: Concerts, auctions, Guest Bartender Night at The Hardware Store, etc.
- Product sales: shortcake, tickets for the high school play, rummage sale
- Remitting our grocery receipts from Vashon Thriftway (for up to $300/month contribution from this local grocery store)
- Happy Bucks
- Matching grants from Rotary International and District 5030
- Business sponsorships for selected events, usually our fund raisers
VASHON ISLAND ROTARY FOUNDATION
In order to correctly handle charitable contributions, our club has a separate not-for-profit Foundation established as a 501c3 with the IRS. Contributions to the foundation are either for the service fund or permanent fund (endowment). Donors can talk to us about designating a particular Rotary project if they wish. Vashon Rotary Club will conduct a number of fund raisers for the Foundation, designating in advance how the proceeds will support a project, organization or special fund.
The foundation gives scholarships and small grants to qualified organizations on an ongoing basis. Sometimes these grants are connected to volunteer service done by club members, but often the grants are for separate projects. A Board of Directors governs the Vashon Rotary Foundation, separate from the operation of the Vashon Rotary Club. All past club Presidents who are still active club members serve on that board.
The current officers are:
President Ted Clabaugh
Vice President Craig Hanson
Secretary Susan Hanson
Treasurer Joyce Olson