. . . making the world a better place
FIGHTING POLIO Rotary Club members and local high-schoolers who are part of Rotary’s teen program called Interact have conducted several campaigns for funds to eradicate polio. The Vashon group of teens and Rotarians often tows an old Iron Lung up the highway to launch the campaign. To date, Rotary International has raised over $200 million and helped reduce polio to only 2 countries. Africa was recently declared polio-free.
SERVING VASHON ISLAND
Rotary has done countless projects for Vashon non-profits, the school district, park district and often obtained grants to help fund those efforts. The highlight for 2016 has been a new project, Music Mends Minds, launched to bring music to people with dementia, and a support group to their caregivers; this group now gathers weekly at 1:30 on Tuesdays at VCC to sing, play instruments and have fun with music.
HELPING TO FEED THE HUNGRY
* We support the Vashon Food Bank in earnest, with regular cash and food donations from our club members.
* Two grants in the past few years: $5,000 for a fence around the first ever garden at the Food Bank, and $2,500 for a security fence for their truck.
* Three of our members drive regularly for the Food Bank’s pick-up and distribution system
* Annual participation at a warehouse work party with Rotary First Harvest and Northwest Harvest
* Quarterly we prepare and serve Wednesday Night Dinner, a free community meal for anyone in need of that support. All community members are welcome to this meal at the Episcopal Church that graciously hosts this event; the dinner is not a faith event however.
BUILDING CLEAN WATER SYSTEMS IN GUATEMALA
Vashon Rotary has contributed numerous grants and the expertise of our members to help communities build and improve drinking water systems. Click on the Global Service tab above for details.
Rotary provides dictionaries to every third grade student every year, six college scholarships for graduating seniors, and supports the drama program and student Interact (service) Club. Vashon Rotary also helps send several local high school juniors to foreign countries for a year of study or a short summer exchange, and we host one or two foreign students on Vashon for a year of high school. Shorter summer-only exchanges are hosted for several students each year.
AND MUCH MORE
Join us to be part of a powerful and effective force for Vashon Island and communities around the world.
MEMBERSHIP IS FLEXIBLE…
Businesses and couples can now be part of Rotary’s team with unique, flexible memberships.